Magic mushrooms have been on earth for quite a while now and during this time have been both friend and foe to mankind. They contain psilocybin, a naturally occurring psychoactive and hallucinogenic compound, which is considered to be one of the most well-known psychedelics. Certain cultures have used magic mushrooms safely in ceremonies and rituals for thousands of years yet myths still abound as to their harmful effects. We are going to look into a few and debunk these myths as nothing more than just misguided observations and conclusions.
Magic mushrooms cause bleeding (brain and stomach) as well as kidney failure.
In most cases, only a stroke, hemorrhage or aneurysm causes a brain bleed and there is no evidence to support this nor is there any reports of magic mushrooms causing stomach bleeding. Mushrooms in the psychedelic mushroom family do not cause kidney issues but often times mushrooms can be mistaken for one another (there are over 14,000 species) and certain ones can be harmful to kidneys as well being toxic for human consumption.
Magic Mushrooms make you go insane.
There are similarities between a magic mushroom trip and a psychotic schizophrenia episode with the key difference being a magic mushroom trip is temporary. The experts always stress being in the right frame of mind when taking magic mushrooms as any type of negativity or anxiety can be amplified by a trip. Thoughts and emotions come to the forefront during a journey and as a trip can last up to six hours having to deal with negative emotions can take a toll. There is no solid evidence stating that latent mental health problems can be exacerbated by the use of magic mushrooms, however, the stress of dealing with personal demons at a heightened level and for an extended duration of time may not necessarily be a good thing so it may be best to refrain if mental health is a concern.
Magic mushrooms are poisonous.
Given that there are over 14,000 species of mushrooms, mushroom poisoning is a high probability if you are unfamiliar with them—serious physical illness and even death can occur. Magic mushrooms have the ability to produce an intoxicated state, alter consciousness and induce visions but that is the extent of their “poison”.
Magic mushrooms are addictive.
Given the physical and mental energy expended when on a magic mushroom trip, users are very unlikely to want to take this journey on a regular basis. The body also quickly builds a tolerance to psilocybin so if one was to repeatedly use magic mushrooms on a succession of days, the effects of the drug starts to drop off considerably.
Magic mushrooms are still relatively new to western culture so it is understandable misconceptions still abound. Depending upon your state of mind magic mushrooms can have both positive and negative effects which is why preparations always need to be taken prior to their use. As there are over 14,000 species of mushrooms, magic mushrooms make up less than 180 so it is easy to understand why other poisonous varieties can be mistaken for them. If you intend upon taking magic mushrooms always plan ahead and ensure you obtain your psilocybin